WARNING: Installation or repair of electrical devices is dangerous. 600 to 1,000 people die annually by electrocution.
Please take necessary precautions including turning off the main breaker before beginning any electrical work in or around your house. Pay close attention to electrical service work in wet areas. Even with the main breaker switched off, double check for any current flow with a tester. Also, it's a good idea to tape a warning note on the main breaker warning others NOT to switch on the breaker.
Here is a simple guide to use when you are installing your own ceiling fan. The wiring description is for USA and Canada only.
Before reading this information, it is important to notice that there are different wiring color codes in different countries around the world. Hence, the wiring color codes in Europe are not the same as those in North America. Thus, before trying to install a ceiling fan,
make sure to use the correct wiring diagram to connect the fan. Here we will follow the wire colors according to the wiring color
codes for USA and Canada.
Red, Black, White, Blue, Green: What Each Ceiling Fan Wire Means
1. Red Wire: The red or striped wire is the hot wire for the lighting fixture of the ceiling fan. If your ceiling fan does not have a lighting fixture, it will only have the three other wires. Moreover, sometimes this wire can come directly from the main circuit breaker in order to always be on.
2. Black Wire: This is the Main hot wire which generally comes from the main circuit breaker and provides power to the fan's motor.
Make sure there is NO CURRENT
3. White Wire: This is know as the "Main Neutral". This wire is the neutral of both the light fixture and the fan motor. white wire should be attached to the other neutral wire of the house wiring. However, the white wire of the house wiring system could also have a piece of tape attached to it, meaning that the wire is probably being used for another purpose.
4. Blue Wire: Guess what? The blue colored wire is a "free agent." You need to check the wiring diagram on the installation manual that came with the ceiling fan and/or light fixture. The purpose of the blue wire varies depending on the country.
5. Green Wire: This is the grounding wire. Grounding the whole installation to Earth.
When in doubt, call me, Franky of Franky's Electric. I am a Master Electrician.