Here are some of the advantages of using space heaters:
1) Energy saving: You only heat the area (room) that you are in at the time whereas a central heat system blows forced warmer air to rooms you are not using.
2) Radiant heat: The heat just feels better coming from a nearby heat source. Most space heaters are for floor use (some mount on poles), so you can warm up your tootsies.
3) Inexpensive: Walmart sells space heaters for as low as $15.
Here are tips for safe operation of a space heater:
1) Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from any household combustibles.
2) Only purchase space heaters with the "UL" (Underwriter Laboratories) label. Also, if you have an old space heater, discard it. Many safety features have been added to the newer heaters.
3). Take precaution with small children and pets when you operate space heaters as they can burn themselves.
4) NEVER use space heaters in a wet area like a bathroom!
5) Place the space heater on a sturdy, non-combustable surface.
For a complete list of safety tips on space heaters, go to the Underwriter Laboratories (UL) website: UL Space Heater Safety Tips